Monday 18 March 2013

Lives of Others

"WHO IS THAT WOMAN?"

Many people have asked me, since the launch of Special Treatment & Other Stories, "Who is that woman on the cover?"
I will now put them out of their misery. The woman's name is Kirstin. I did a 3D Design (architecture) degree with her way back in 1993. We were both mature students and have remained friends. In looking for a cover related to a hairdressers (the prizewinning title story), I came upon a photo of my daughter in curlers for a school fancy-dress day. I asked her if I could use it. Scarlett, now aged 18, said she'd sue me if I did. She's a very determined kid and I knew she meant it. Who else did I know who had the same kind of serious look, with the right kind of hair and lots of character in her face. Kirstin! I Facebooked her and asked her to take some photos of herself in curlers. They came back okay but not perfect. I asked her to do more, but she was in hospital having a serious operation. I pestered her the day she was released.
"But I look so ill," she said.
"Kirstin, I'm not looking for beauty," I replied, "I'm looking for character. If you don't mind doing it I think it will be better while you're just out of hospital."
She obliged. The photo on the cover is the result.
What a heroin that woman is.
Thank you Kirstin!

1 comment:

  1. I should've talked to Scarlett LOL & the out of focus one is def a better pic ! :)

    ReplyDelete